How to use the Dictionary Creator
We recently released our new dictionary creator module to public beta and thought it would be a good time to detail the steps required when creating, editing, or duplicating a dictionary. If you notice any inaccuracies of have suggestions please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org
Steps to Create a New Dictionary
- Start from scratch or open an existing Dictionary to use as template
- Change Dictionary name
- Sub Folder – if you would like the Dictionary in a sub folder (if sub folder does not exist it will be created)
- Dictionary Order – specify a sort order for the Dictionary if you wish
- Make Changes to fields
- Assign new Dictionary to correct account(s)
- Upload Database
- This is where you upload the data supplied by the utility (ie the assets to be inspected). This data needs to be in a CSV format. (see Prepopulating Dictionary with Data below)
- Create Dictionary
- This will create the new Dictionary with any supplied data and make it available to your devices on their next Dictionary refresh
If at any time you wish to abandon changes simply leave the Dictionary Creator page
Prepopulating Dictionary with Data
Golden Retriever allows you to prepopulate data into a Dictionary. This enables the utility to specify the assets to be inspected and include the pertinent data. In the case of utility poles this normally includes pole species, year, class and height as well as the X and Y GPS coordinates. The file format required is a CSV (Comma Separated Values) file format.
When preparing the CSV for uploading:
- Review and edit the CSV file in a spreadsheet program such as Excel.
- GPS coordinates must be in WGS84 format (EPSG:4326). If you have received a shape file from a utility you will find a .prj file which will contain the name of the coordinate system and possibly the EPSG number. You can use a program such as QGIS to convert your coordinates into the WGS84 format.
- Next the column headings need to be changed to match the Field Names which are specified in the Dictionary Creator (Once the CSV has been uploaded and the Dictionary has been updated the prepopulated fields will have the statement Note: field exists in uploaded database, in red, under the Field Name).
- Delete the unwanted columns in the spreadsheet and save to a CSV file format.
- Using the Dictionary Creator, click on the Upload Database button. You will be shown a warning about the GPS format and column names. Click OK to proceed to the file select dialog. Select the CSV to be uploaded.
- Click the Update Dictionary button at the top of the page to finish the process. The new dictionary with the preplotted data points will now be available on your devices the next time they refresh their Dictionary list.
If you later need to remove this data, simply click on the “(click to unassign)” in red text located below the Local Database name. The data will then be removed from the devices the next time they refresh their dictionary list.
Note: Any time you now edit the dictionary, this database will be shown. You need to ‘unassign’ it if you make any changes before you click the Update Dictionary button to avoid reassigning the database to the Dictionary.